Sunday, September 17, 2023

DroneBlocks Simulator Lab

For this week’s lab assignment, we worked with DroneBlocks app to learn about the coding of flying Tello drones. By working through various introduction videos to coding and drone simulation we were provided with knowledge on how to create commands for the drone through the app. The DroneBlocks simulator gave us the opportunity to work with different beginner codes to practice flying without utilizing a real drone. I could see this being very productive in teaching students how to utilize different codes with a drone.

            If the videos that I watched for DroneBlocks were used in a classroom or group setting I could see potential for confusion. These concepts are not exactly the easiest to understand and even as an adult I had to watch them multiple times and reread the instructions for the lab multiple times to understand how to work it. I think to utilize this for younger students there would have to be some videos or guidance in person to further explain and assist in teaching them the concepts of these codes or DroneBlocks simulator.

·       Which specific simulation tutorials were the most interesting to you? How did you try to alter the lines of code for what effects? What can you imagine for an engaging 5–10-minute simulator experience that encourages experimentation with lines of code?

The ability to group codes together as loops and create variables is interesting. I altered the line codes by combining different commands together such as the flips and navigation. I can imagine allowing students to experiment with the coding without any real direct instruction to see if they are able to figure out commands by trial and error. This could create motivation to find long commands that work.

ISTE Standard

5.3.c Plan collaboratively with other educators to create learning activities that cross disciplines to strengthen student understanding of CT and CS concepts and transfer application of knowledge in new contexts.

            I could see this activity working better if it is done collaboratively with a partner. Because coding isn’t the easiest to learn, I imagine having a partner or group together to troubleshoot any problems or confusion would be helpful. Especially after working on this activity asynchronously without a partner or professor in person to guide I had to rely on the internet to help me understand how to understand these concepts.

Screencast of drone simulation:

Mars Mission

Practicing code sequences:



No comments:

Post a Comment